June 23, 2009 –The Parkland College Dollars for Scholars Golf Classic was once again a great success thanks to the support from many generous donors. Parkland College is happy to announce that the fourth annual Dollars for Scholars Golf Classic held on June 19th at Deer Park Golf Course in Yorkton raised $11,600.
Money raised at the tournament will go towards scholarships for College students entering into post-secondary programs at Parkland College explained Dollars for Scholars Chairperson, Alicia Myall. “The golf tournament is a significant part of the scholarship initiative and helps to create and encourage opportunities for students to stay in the region and study locally.” With the help of the Dollars for Scholar tournament, Parkland College was able to award $63,650 in scholarships this past year. Thanks to the success of this year’s tournament, the scholarship initiative will see a growth in the number of scholarships awarded in 2010.
RBC’s commitment to working with Parkland College as the major tournament sponsor, played a great role in the success of the tournament. As the tournament sponsor, RBC has committed to providing a $1,000 annual scholarship for 5 years for students enrolled in full-time business programs at Parkland College. In addition, RBC provided tremendous support during the golf tournament.
GX94 and The Fox 94.1 were also major supporters of the tournament. “Their involvement as media sponsors helped us to reach our goals in sponsorship, prize donations, and team recruitment”, said Alicia Myall. “It was a pleasure working with them as they helped to support and promote an important cause that will help strengthen and grow our scholarship program as well as encourage training opportunities in the region.”
Parkland College looks forward to seeing everyone at next year’s tournament scheduled for June 18, 2010.
144 golfers participated in the Dollars for Scholars Golf Tournament. Results from the tournament include:
- Straightest Drive Men Hole #4 – Dennis Hughes
- Straightest Drive Women Hole #4 – Val Pelletier
- Closest to the Pin Men Hole #8 – Dean Redenbach
- Closest to the Pin Women Hole #8 – Lynn Ferguson
- Longest Drive Men Hole #13 – Stann Bobb
- Longest Drive Women Hole #13 – Deb Pryslak
- Longest Putt Men Hole #18 – Tom Cursons
- Longest Putt Women Hole #18 – Lorrie Allison
- Winner of the Putting Contest – Gwen Stewart
- Winner of the Chipping Contest – Farrell Dodd
- Lowest Scoring Team – Brian Cotton, Merv Beasley, Orest Nimetz and Neil Cotton – Kenville, MB
- Water Holes #8 & #16 – Brennan Richards and Bonnie Grodecki
- Sherring Gold Hole #9 – Ron Walton and Brian Pohorelic