Social Work – Bachelor Degree


Social Work

Students wishing to pursue the Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) from the University of Regina can take the entire degree at Parkland College in Yorkton. Applicants must first enroll in the Social Work Qualifying Program. Qualifying students must complete 30 university credit hours before applying to be fully accepted to the BSW Program.

To graduate with a BSW, students must successfully complete both the General University Studies (GUS) and the Social Work (SW) portions of our program. Each portion is worth 60 credit hours totaling 120 credit hours of university studies, including the courses taken in the qualifying program.

Why Parkland College?

“I chose Parkland College because it is close to home. The best thing about the College is the small class sizes. I would recommend Parkland College because of the awesome instructors, scholarship opportunities and small-town feel.”

-Rayne Townsend
Social Work Qualifying Student

Sample Schedule

Sample Schedule

First Year – Term 1 First Year – Term 2
  • English 100
  • Sociology 111
  • Psychology 120
  • Indigenous Studies 100
  • Social Work 100
  • English 114
  • Sociology 112
  • Psychology 121
  • Indigenous Studies 201
  • Women & Gender Studies 100
Second Year – Term 1 Second Year – Term 2
  • Social Work 202
  • Social Work 346
  • Sociology 211
  • Elective
  • Elective
  • Social Work 3XX
  • Social Work 3XX
  • Elective
  • Elective
  • Elective
Third Year – Term 1 Third Year – Term 2
  • Social Work 3XX
  • Social Work 4XX
  • Social Work Elective
  • Elective
  • Elective
  • Social Work 4XX
  • Social Work 4XX
  • Social Work Elective
  • Social Work Elective
  • Elective
Fourth Year – Term 1 Fourth Year – Term 2
  • Social Work 348 Practicum
  • Social Work 348 Practicum
  • Social Work Elective
  • Elective
  • Elective
  • Social Work 448 Practicum
  • Social Work 448 Practicum
  • Social Work 448 Practicum
  • Social Work 448 Practicum
  • Social Work 448 Practicum

Important Notes:

  • Every class is not necessarily available every year, the sequencing is a suggestion only.
  • Classes marked 2XX, 3XX or 4XX indicate the level of the class, actual classes available vary from year to year and can be obtained from a number of different universities.



Professional social work education involves the acquisition of knowledge and skills through academic study and through supervised practice, which is called practicum. In the BSW Program, students will complete two of these field education experiences in SW 348 & SW 448.

Important Notes:

    • Deadlines to apply for practicum are March 1 for Fall practicum and October 1st for Winter Practicum.
    • If you are planning an International Practicum deadlines are March 31st for Fall and June 30thfor Winter practicums.
    • You must attend a practicum information session to start the process of practicum. Sessions are offered in January for Fall placements and September for Winter placements.

Placepro Information

Placepro Login

Course Calendar

Click here for Parkland College’s 2019-2020 University Bulletin

Please note: Classes are subject to change.



How do I take classes from the University of Saskatchewan or University of Regina at Parkland College?

You can take university classes at Parkland College if you have been accepted for admission to either the University of Regina or the University of Saskatchewan. Go to the Admissions Page more for detailed information on how to apply.

Is there an application to take classes at Parkland College?

You don’t have to fill in a separate application to take classes at Parkland College, you just have to be accepted to either University of Saskatchewan or University of Regina. When you register for classes you register in the sections of the class being held in Yorkton (or your community of choice for televised classes).

I am a University of Regina student but I want to take Psychology which is a University of Saskatchewan class?

It is easy to take a class from the “other university” talk to our academic advisor and she will help you fill in a Common Visiting Student Form. This form lets you take classes from the “other university” without having to apply for admission; the form is also a way to have the transfer credit approved at you home university before you take the class.  If you are a University of Saskatchewan student you just have to fill in the form, after we send it away you don’t have to do anything else. If you are a University of Regina student you have to wait until you get a letter from the University of Saskatchewan giving you permission to go online to the University of Saskatchewan website PAWS to register in the class yourself. It is an easy process, almost every student at Parkland College takes a class from the other university.

How do I pay my fees?

You can pay your fees in many different ways; the important thing to note is that you have to pay your fees to the University that offers the class, so you pay the University of Saskatchewan for their classes and the University of Regina for their classes. To find out how much you owe go to either PAWS for University of Saskatchewan or URSelfService for University of Regina and look for the Account Summary by term. On these sites there is also information about how you can pay. You can pay in a number of different ways, online, at an ABM, at certain bank branches, by cheque or even in cash. Failure to pay in a timely manner may incur late fees and will prevent you from registering in next terms classes and stop you from seeing you final mark for your classes.

Where do I get my textbooks?

You can buy textbooks from the bookstore of the university from which the class originates. Both have online shopping for textbooks. The University of Regina bookstore is here and the University of Saskatchewan bookstore is here. Both university bookstores charge for shipping. You do not have to buy new textbooks, the university bookstores also sell used textbooks. You can also buy textbooks from Amazon and Chapters online or Coles in Parkland Mall, both of the online booksellers sell used textbooks too. In some cases shipping may be free.

Sometimes students will post notices in the student coffee room with textbooks for sale, these can be the best deal but check with the official list at the university bookstore to make sure that the prof hasn’t chosen a newer edition or changed the required texts for the course.

How do I know that I am registered in the right class?

You can check online at URSelfService or PAWS to see which classes you are registered in, then check the Course Registration Numbers (CRNs) in the University bulletin, these are the sections being offered at Parkland College.

I want to change my major, what do I do now?

Lots of people change their mind about what they want to major in at university, just make an appointment to see the academic advisor and she will help you find the right direction to match your career goals.

How do I transfer to Saskatoon or Regina?

You don’t have to do anything when you decide to go to the main campus to take classes. When you register for classes for the next term you just register for the classes located in Saskatoon or Regina. When you take classes at Parkland College you are a University of Regina or University of Saskatchewan student, there is no transfer process between here and the main campus.

Are there real instructors at Parkland College?

Parkland College has four types of classes, face to face, multi-mode, televised and online.

Most of the first year classes and social work classes are face to face with a live instructor in the room teaching you. The instructor is selected and hired by the university and is paid by the university. They have to meet the same standard the instructors on campus would have to meet. In almost every case the instructor has a minimum of a master’s degree in the subject that they are teaching, many have doctoral degrees. Some of our instructors live locally, others drive from considerable distances to teach at Parkland College. Face to face classes are currently only available in Yorkton.

Multi-mode classes are increasing in number, here the instructor is live in Saskatoon or Regina and video conferencing equipment enables you to see the instructor and the other students taking the class in up to four other locations in the province projected onto a big screen. The instructor can see you too, and all of the other students around the province. Multi-mode classes are only available in Yorkton right now.

Televised classes are taught by instructors located in Regina or Saskatoon, they usually have a class in the room with them, the class is broadcast via the cast.scn  satellite network to many locations in Saskatchewan. You watch the class on either projected onto a big screen or on a television screen, you can call into the studio with questions and to participate in class discussions. Televised classes are available at all Parkland College locations you must be at a college location to view these classes.

Online classes are classes that are available on any computer with an internet connection. Most online classes have a start and end date that is the same as the other classes but do not have regular meeting times. The classes are usually set up as a series of modules with a different module to be completed each week. You can complete the work for each class at any time during the week. Final exams may be online or you may have to come to a college location to write the exam.

Are the classes easier at Parkland College?

Classes at Parkland College are no easier or harder than they are on the main campus. Instructors are approved by the department and they must meet the same requirements as on campus instructors. In some cases students write the same exams as on campus students. However, because of the smaller class sizes and more personalized service at Parkland we have found that students tend to get better marks than their peers who went straight to the main campus.

Can I still apply to Nursing/Pharmacy/Nutrition/Social Work if I do my first year at Parkland College?

Yes, you can apply for professional programs while you are taking classes at Parkland College. If you need help contact our academic advisor, she will be able to help you with your application by making sure you have all of the prerequisites and that you meet the deadlines.

Are the fees lower at Parkland College?

Tuition fees for university classes at Parkland College are the same as the fees on campus. You will pay a lower rate for student fees and you won’t have to pay the athletic fee or the bus pass (U of S).  You will not be charged the medical and dental insurance fee either, however, if you would like, you can opt in to the medical and dental plan for students, this is a great deal if you don’t have coverage elsewhere. Check with the academic advisor for more information.

Can I apply for Parkland College scholarships and my university scholarships?

Yes you can apply for entrance scholarships from Parkland College and add them to any other scholarships you may receive from any source. The deadline for entrance scholarships is usually in May before the new academic year, awards are made at the end of September. In addition, students who are taking classes from Parkland College can also apply for the internal scholarships that are awarded in February/March. Some students receive up to $3000 from Parkland College in scholarships alone.

Can I start at Parkland College and move to university in another province?

If you are planning to take your first year at Parkland College and then move out of province you still need to be accepted by either the university of Saskatchewan or University of Regina. You will need to work closely with our academic advisor to make sure that all of your classes from your time at Parkland will transfer to your new university and that you take the classes that the out of province university requires so that you are not delayed by missed classes. We have had many students transfer to U of A, U of C, UBC and Brandon University. Our advisor will work with you and the university you would like to go to so that you only take what you need and what will transfer.

Can I start classes at Parkland College in January?

Yes, you can start classes at several different times each year, in September, January, May and sometimes June, July and August. You will need to make sure that you apply in plenty of time and that you select your classes with our academic advisor at least a few weeks before classes start. Please don’t leave it to the last minute.

Career Opportunities

Social workers treat social functioning difficulties, provide counselling, therapy and referral to other supportive social services, and evaluate child development and the adequacy of child care. They are employed by hospitals, school boards, social service agencies, welfare organizations and correctional facilities. They may also work in private practice.

Sample First Year Schedule for a BSW Qualifying Student

During your first year of BSW Qualifying studies at Parkland College you will take a wide range of classes in a number of different subject areas called the core requirements or distribution requirements. They allow you to try out different types of classes and help you to get a broader understanding of learning at the university level.

As a qualifying student you need to complete 30 Credit units of classes to be able to apply to the Faculty of Social Work as a BSW Student. At Parkland College we build a first year of classes for you with a partnership with U of S. You do not need to be a U of S student but you are able to take courses as a visiting student. This process is made easy through completing a Campus Saskatchewan (Common Visiting Student) Form.

Here is what a typical first-year schedule might look like for a BSW qualifying student based on 30 credit units:

  • ENGL 100.3 (or equivalent)
  • ENG 110.3 (or equivalent)
  • INDG 100.3
  • PSYC 101.3 (or equivalent)
  • SOC 100.3  (or equivalent)
  • 5 courses in General University Studies (GUS) and SW 100 and/or SW 202(15)

Important Notes:

    • You will need to be accepted as a qualifying student at the University of Regina to take Social Work classes at Parkland College.
    • Once you have completed the required 10 qualifying classes you can complete an application for admission to the Faculty of Social Work to become a BSW degree student. Application deadline is January 15th of each year.

For more information on Practicum please consult the Field Education Manual.


It is essential that all students consult a counsellor once you have your acceptance letter from the U of R or U of S to develop a schedule of classes.

Program Information

Sophia Thomas


Toll Free

Last Updated: February 27, 2020