Pre-Veterinary Medicine


Pre-Veterinary Medicine (Your First Year)

The University of Saskatchewan offers a four-year program in Veterinary Medicine, leading to a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. Prior to admission to the Western College of Veterinary Medicine, applicants must complete a minimum of 60 credit units in pre-veterinary medicine. Enrollment to the College is limited and very competitive. Some students may complete the pre-veterinary medicine requirements in two years. Because the program load is heavy and the competition for entry is very keen, students are urged to spread their program over a longer period and to take the standard first-year courses for the B.S.A. program. Applicants wishing to enter the Western College of Veterinary Medicine can take their first year of pre-veterinary medicine studies at Parkland College through the U of S College of Arts & Sciences and the College of Agriculture & Bioresources.

Why Parkland College?

Many students are drawn to our unique learning environment where class sizes are typically smaller. On average university students at Parkland College score 10% higher than those in a larger on-campus program.
Course Calendar


University of Regina – Fall 2022 Classes

CRN Sec Class # Time Day Title Room Instructor
82280 C61 BIOL 120 2:30 PM – 03:50 PM M/W The Nature of Life 109 Gwen Machnee
84958 L1 BIOL LAB#1 120 1:00 PM- 3:50 PM R The Nature of Life TTC LAB Sarah Lipoth
86790 L2 BIOL LAB #2 120 4:00 PM – 6:50 PM M The Nature of Life TTC LAB Sarah Lipoth
82311 C61 ENG 114 4:00 PM – 6:50 PM T Literature and Composition Reading Culture 101 Eleanora Esenkova
87188 C61 INTS 102 7:00 PM – 9:50 PM R Strategies for Academic Success 109 Linda Banga
83767 C61 PSY 120 4:00 PM – 6:50 PM R Biological and Cognitive Bases of Psychology 109 Gordon Gendur
82484 C61 SOC 111 4:00 PM – 6:50 PM M Foundations in Sociology Society Structure Process 109 Elaine Hulse
90020 C61 SOC 212 7:00 PM – 9:50 PM M Introduction to Criminology 109 Elaine Hulse

University of Saskatchewan – Fall 2022 Classes

CRN Sec Class # Time Day Title Room Instructor
33454 303 CHEM 100 9:00AM – 10:15AM M/W Introductory Chemistry Remote Sarah Lipoth
33452 303 CHEM 104 10:30AM – 11:45AM M/W General Chemistry I – LECTURE 109 Sarah Lipoth
33453 313 CHEM- L 104 9:00AM – 11:45AM R General Chemistry I – LAB TTC LAB Sarah Lipoth
33821 S29 ENG 100 10:30AM – 11:45AM T/R Critical Reading and Writing I Remote Katherine Springford
33819 SYK ENG 100 10:30AM – 11:45AM T/R 109 Katherine Springford
33423 S29 INDG 100 7:00PM – 9:45PM T Introduction to Indigenous Studies Remote Elaine Hulse
33422 SYK INDG 100 7:00PM – 9:45PM T 109 Elaine Hulse
33790 029 KIN 170 6:00PM -8:45PM W Lifestyle, Health and Wellness Remote Brandon Needham
33549 303 KIN 170 6:00PM – 8:45PM W 123 Brandon Needham
33824 S23 Math 101 4:40PM – 6:00PM MW Introductory Finite Mathematics I Remote Wayne Clark
33822 303 Math 101 4:40PM – 6:00PM MW 129 Wayne Clark
33468 303 SOC 211 4:00PM – 6:45PM T Sociology of Diversity and Intersectionality in Canada Remote Elaine Hulse
33467 303 SOC 211 4:00PM – 6:45PM T 109 Elaine Hulse
33460 303 PHIL 100 9:00AM -11:45AM F Introduction to Philosophy Remote Joel Hubick
33459 303 PHIL 100 9:00AM – 11:45AM F 109 Joel Hubick

First Nations University of Canada – Fall 2022 Classes

CRN Sec Class # Time Day Title Room Instructor
33575 S23 SAUL 100 7:00PM – 9:45PM W Introduction to Saulteaux ZOOM Denise Kennedy

Bachelor of Indigenous Education Classes – Fall 2022

CRN Class Number Time Day Instructor Classroom
Fall 2022 Cohort
33806 EIND 116 6:00PM – 8:45PM R Clorice Delorme 101
33820 ENGL 100 10:30AM – 11:45AM T/R Katherine Springford 109
33422 INDG 100 7:00PM – 9:45PM T Elaine Hulse 109
33463 MATH 101 4:40PM – 6:00PM MW Wayne Clark 129
33575 SAUL 100 7:00PM – 9:45PM W Denise Kennedy ZOOM – UR COURSES
Fall 2020 Cohort
33676 EIEA 355 10:00AM – 12:45PM W Ben Schenstead 101
33861 EIND 305 7:00PM – 9:45PM T Reg Leidl 101
33863 EIND 305 LAB 6:00PM – 7:45PM W TBA 101
33677 ELNG 325 1:30PM – 4:15PM W Ben Schenstead 101
33678 JS 351 1:00PM – 3:45PM T Elaine Hulse 109

Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) – Fall 2022

CRN Class Type Time Day Instructor Classroom
Nursing Year 2
84890 NURS 200.3 Lecture 12:30PM – 3:20PM T Jodie Bigalky 123
84834 NURS 202.3 Lecture 8:30 AM – 11:20AM T Jodie Bigalky 123
84800 NURS 202 LAB L71 8:30AM – 11:20AM W
83744 NURS 202 LAB L72 12:00PM-2:50PM W
89325 NURS 202 LAB L73 3:30PM-6:20PM W
84835 NURS 204.3 Lecture 12:30PM – 2:20PM M Joleen Klassen 123
84807 NURS 204 LAB L71 3:00PM – 5:20PM M (dates vary) 123
84808 NURS 204 LAB L72 3:00PM – 5:20PM M (dates vary) 123
89323 NURS 206.1 Clinical Jodie Bigalky
89324 NURS 206 LAB L71 R
86956 NURS 207.3 Lecture 10:00AM – 11:20AM M/F Paul Lee & Carol Bullin ONLINE
85563 MCIM 223.3 Lecture 8:30AM – 9:50AM M/F Yannick Tremblay ONLINE
Nursing Year 3
85428 NURS 304.3 Lecture 8:30AM – 11:20AM R Kelly Penz 123
85430 NURS 311.3 Lecture 8:00AM – 8:50AM M Cheryl Cummings ONLINE
85431 NURS 311 LAB L71 3:00PM – 5:50PM R
85432 NURS 311 LAB L72 8:30AM – 11:20AM F
85795 NURS 311 LAB L73 12:00PM – 2:50PM F
85434 NURS 321.3 Lecture 12:30PM – 2:20PM R Lindsey Goertz 123
85435 NURS 321 LAB L71 9:00AM – 10:50AM F Mobola Ogunbiyi 123
85436 NURS 321 LAB L72 1:30PM – 3:20PM F Cara Sharpe 123
85429 NURS 332.3 Lecture 9:00AM – 12:50PM M Kathy Rodger 101
85433 NURS 333.3 Clinical TW
85067 NURS 333 LAB L71 TW Kathy Rodger
Nursing Year 4
87802 NURS 450.9 Clinical Kathy Rodger
89191 NURS 441.3 Lecture ONLINE

Classes are subject to change.

Please note: You are able to register in any classes for which you have the prerequisites at either university, but please consider registering in Parkland College designated classes. These classes tend to be much smaller in size and may have additional tutorials or seminars. The designated Parkland College classes are the only classes for which Parkland College receives revenue to maintain the classes here and provide additional supports such as advisors and tutorials.

Where to start with online classes

  • Start with the syllabus or course outline. This will give you all the information that you need for the class, the instructor’s contact information, the textbook, the weekly topics, the assignments, their due dates and their weighting, and how your work will be assessed.
  • Check out what you have to do in the first week, plan when you will do it – then do it!
  • Put all the assignment due dates in your calendar with reminders two weeks ahead and one week ahead. Don’t leave them to the last minute.
  • Enjoy learning new stuff!

If you need a common visiting student form, please visit the University at Parkland College page on the Current Students section of our website.



How do I take classes from the University of Saskatchewan or University of Regina at Parkland College? You can take university classes at Parkland College if you have been accepted for admission to either the University of Regina or the University of Saskatchewan. Go to the Admissions Page more for detailed information on how to apply.
Is there an application to take classes at Parkland College? You don’t have to fill in a separate application to take classes at Parkland College, you just have to be accepted to either University of Saskatchewan or University of Regina. When you register for classes you register in the sections of the class being held in Yorkton (or your community of choice for televised classes).
I am a University of Regina student but I want to take Psychology which is a University of Saskatchewan class? It is easy to take a class from the “other university” talk to our academic advisor and she will help you fill in a Common Visiting Student Form. This form lets you take classes from the “other university” without having to apply for admission; the form is also a way to have the transfer credit approved at you home university before you take the class.  If you are a University of Saskatchewan student you just have to fill in the form, after we send it away you don’t have to do anything else. If you are a University of Regina student you have to wait until you get a letter from the University of Saskatchewan giving you permission to go online to the University of Saskatchewan website PAWS to register in the class yourself. It is an easy process, almost every student at Parkland College takes a class from the other university.
How do I pay my fees? You can pay your fees in many different ways; the important thing to note is that you have to pay your fees to the University that offers the class, so you pay the University of Saskatchewan for their classes and the University of Regina for their classes. To find out how much you owe go to either PAWS for University of Saskatchewan or URSelfService for University of Regina and look for the Account Summary by term. On these sites there is also information about how you can pay. You can pay in a number of different ways, online, at an ABM, at certain bank branches, by cheque or even in cash. Failure to pay in a timely manner may incur late fees and will prevent you from registering in next terms classes and stop you from seeing you final mark for your classes.
Where do I get my textbooks? You can buy textbooks from the bookstore of the university from which the class originates. Both have online shopping for textbooks. The University of Regina bookstore is here and the University of Saskatchewan bookstore is here. Both university bookstores charge for shipping. You do not have to buy new textbooks, the university bookstores also sell used textbooks. You can also buy textbooks from Amazon and Chapters online or Coles in Parkland Mall, both of the online booksellers sell used textbooks too. In some cases shipping may be free. Sometimes students will post notices in the student coffee room with textbooks for sale, these can be the best deal but check with the official list at the university bookstore to make sure that the prof hasn’t chosen a newer edition or changed the required texts for the course.
How do I know that I am registered in the right class? You can check online at URSelfService or PAWS to see which classes you are registered in, then check the Course Registration Numbers (CRNs) in the University bulletin, these are the sections being offered at Parkland College.
I want to change my major, what do I do now? Lots of people change their mind about what they want to major in at university, just make an appointment to see the academic advisor and she will help you find the right direction to match your career goals.
How do I transfer to Saskatoon or Regina? You don’t have to do anything when you decide to go to the main campus to take classes. When you register for classes for the next term you just register for the classes located in Saskatoon or Regina. When you take classes at Parkland College you are a University of Regina or University of Saskatchewan student, there is no transfer process between here and the main campus.
Are there real instructors at Parkland College? Parkland College has four types of classes, face to face, multi-mode, televised and online. Most of the first year classes and social work classes are face to face with a live instructor in the room teaching you. The instructor is selected and hired by the university and is paid by the university. They have to meet the same standard the instructors on campus would have to meet. In almost every case the instructor has a minimum of a master’s degree in the subject that they are teaching, many have doctoral degrees. Some of our instructors live locally, others drive from considerable distances to teach at Parkland College. Face to face classes are currently only available in Yorkton. Multi-mode classes are increasing in number, here the instructor is live in Saskatoon or Regina and video conferencing equipment enables you to see the instructor and the other students taking the class in up to four other locations in the province projected onto a big screen. The instructor can see you too, and all of the other students around the province. Multi-mode classes are only available in Yorkton right now. Televised classes are taught by instructors located in Regina or Saskatoon, they usually have a class in the room with them, the class is broadcast via the cast.scn  satellite network to many locations in Saskatchewan. You watch the class on either projected onto a big screen or on a television screen, you can call into the studio with questions and to participate in class discussions. Televised classes are available at all Parkland College locations you must be at a college location to view these classes. Online classes are classes that are available on any computer with an internet connection. Most online classes have a start and end date that is the same as the other classes but do not have regular meeting times. The classes are usually set up as a series of modules with a different module to be completed each week. You can complete the work for each class at any time during the week. Final exams may be online or you may have to come to a college location to write the exam.

Are the classes easier at Parkland College?

Classes at Parkland College are no easier or harder than they are on the main campus. Instructors are approved by the department and they must meet the same requirements as on campus instructors. In some cases students write the same exams as on campus students. However, because of the smaller class sizes and more personalized service at Parkland we have found that students tend to get better marks than their peers who went straight to the main campus.
Can I still apply to Nursing/Pharmacy/Nutrition/Social Work if I do my first year at Parkland College? Yes, you can apply for professional programs while you are taking classes at Parkland College. If you need help contact our academic advisor, she will be able to help you with your application by making sure you have all of the prerequisites and that you meet the deadlines.
Are the fees lower at Parkland College? Tuition fees for university classes at Parkland College are the same as the fees on campus. You will pay a lower rate for student fees and you won’t have to pay the athletic fee or the bus pass (U of S).  You will not be charged the medical and dental insurance fee either, however, if you would like, you can opt in to the medical and dental plan for students, this is a great deal if you don’t have coverage elsewhere. Check with the academic advisor for more information.
Can I apply for Parkland College scholarships and my university scholarships? Yes you can apply for entrance scholarships from Parkland College and add them to any other scholarships you may receive from any source. The deadline for entrance scholarships is usually in May before the new academic year, awards are made at the end of September. In addition, students who are taking classes from Parkland College can also apply for the internal scholarships that are awarded in February/March. Some students receive up to $3000 from Parkland College in scholarships alone.
Can I start at Parkland College and move to university in another province? If you are planning to take your first year at Parkland College and then move out of province you still need to be accepted by either the university of Saskatchewan or University of Regina. You will need to work closely with our academic advisor to make sure that all of your classes from your time at Parkland will transfer to your new university and that you take the classes that the out of province university requires so that you are not delayed by missed classes. We have had many students transfer to U of A, U of C, UBC and Brandon University. Our advisor will work with you and the university you would like to go to so that you only take what you need and what will transfer.
Can I start classes at Parkland College in January? Yes, you can start classes at several different times each year, in September, January, May and sometimes June, July and August. You will need to make sure that you apply in plenty of time and that you select your classes with our academic advisor at least a few weeks before classes start. Please don’t leave it to the last minute.

Career Opportunities

Veterinarians prevent, diagnose and treat diseases and disorders in animals and advise clients on the feeding, hygiene, housing and general care of animals. Graduates of the Western College of Veterinary Medicine typically work in private practice or may be employed by animal clinics and laboratories, government or industry.

Sample First Year Schedule

During your first year of pre-veterinary studies at Parkland College you will take a wide range of classes in a number of different subject areas called the core requirements or distribution requirements. They allow you to try out different types of classes and help you to get a broader understanding of learning at the university level. Here is what a typical first-year schedule might look like:
Term 1 Term 2
  • ENG 111.3
  • BIOL 120.3
  • CHEM 104.3
  • 6 credit units of electives
  • ENG 114.3
  • BIOL 121.3
  • CHEM 140.3
  • 6 credit units of electives
Important Notes:
  • Students are recommended to choose AGRIC 111.3 and 112.3 as two of their electives.
  • Other options available for electives include PSYC 110.6, SOC 111.3 and 112.3, HIST 121.3 and 122.3, INDG 100.3 and CMPT 100.3


It is essential that all students consult a counsellor once you have your acceptance letter from the U of R or U of S to develop a schedule of classes.

Program Information

Last Updated: February 27, 2020